Ginataang Kalabasa at Talong (Squash and Eggplant in Coconut Cream)


Honestly, I just came up with this recipe because of the coconut powder in my cupboard that's about to expire in a month's time. Hehe... The squash and the eggplant (along with other veggies) came all the way from MMSU in Ilocos Norte. My in-laws always bring some when they visit us. They believe that vegetables are fresher and cheaper there. It's also a subtle way of telling me to cook healthy foods for their son and grandchildren. Oh well... I choose not to disagree. It's an advantage on my budgeting anyway.

I remember the recipe my mom taught me way before. But in hers, she used fresh coconut to get the cream from. I'm kinda lazy with this so I opt for the "unnatural" one. My bad!!!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp fish sauce (patis)
  • 200 g pork belly, boiled until tender and cut into pieces
  • 1 pack coconut powder (to yield 1/2 c cream when prepared as to directions)
  • 1/4 c water (use the pork broth)
  • 2 cups squash, cubed
  • 2 pcs eggplant (big), sliced into 1/2 in.
  • 5 pcs sweet pepper
  • salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil.
  2. Add fish sauce and pork.
  3. Add water and bring to boil.
  4. Add squash and simmer for 3 minutes.
  5. Pour in the cream and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6. Add eggplant and sweet pepper and simmer until the sauce thickens.
  7. Dash with salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inabraw* na Kabute at Bulaklak

Sinampalukang Manok (Chicken in Tamarind Soup)