“Smallest” Tuyo*


*Tuyo is a salty dried fish. It’s usually done in areas along the shorelines. Since the Philippines is an archipelago, there are a lot of tuyo “versions” here. The fisherfolks have learned to innovate and make almost all sea creatures “dry”. It’s also a way of preserving these water resources for longer shelf-life.


I called this one the “smallest” since on my part, this is indeed the tiniest tuyo I’ve ever seen (2-3 inches long). The usual tuyo we eat with our favourite Pork Sinigang or Pork Nilaga is far bigger than this one (5-6 inches long). My mom-in-law, the one who gave this, said this is not dilis (small dried fish but not that salty). She said she bought this from the Bicol region and the vendor told her it’s one of the smallest kind of tuyo they sell.


I don’t really mind as long as it tastes the way I’m familiar with. Actually, this one’s more convenient to eat since it’s crunchier and I don’t have to remove the bones and scales. You just have to pan fry it, and it’s ready to munch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ginataang Kalabasa at Talong (Squash and Eggplant in Coconut Cream)

Sinampalukang Manok (Chicken in Tamarind Soup)

Inabraw* na Kabute at Bulaklak